Sundays are my favorite days. Yesterday was a much needed one. I really needed to hear the things I heard. Should be like that every Sunday, right? Yeah, I know.
It was our ward conference, so our stake president was there as well as the stake relief society presidency. In sacrament, our bishop told us of an analogy of 3 baseball fans. I will simply paraphrase, for I remember the concept but not the whole "story". Fan #1 is a spectator. He goes to every game, faithfully supports them and dreams of being in the hall of fame. However, a spectator has never made it to the hall of fame solely by spectating. Fan #2 is the bench warmer. He makes it to practice, keeps the bench warm, is up close and personal with the game. Everyone sees him go to the games, he never misses. But realizes that to be part of the team requires a lot of work, dedication and sacrifice. No one enters the hall of fame by simply keeping the bench warm, either. Fan #3 is a pitcher. He attends every game, makes every practice, watches what he eats to be physically prepared, exercises on his own time, and makes it a very active part of his life. He dreams of being in the hall of fame, and eventually his hard work puts him there.
What is the difference between these three fans? They all want the same thing: to be in the hall of fame. But are they all committed enough to obtain what is desired? Are they putting the work into receiving the reward?
This teaching can be compared to many different situations, evaluating our priorities and dedication towards anything we accomplish in life. For the purpose of this post, compare this in a spiritual sense. What type of member are you? Do you desire the blessings that come along with being a faithful Latter-Day Saint? Does the road seem to hard or strict to stay committed? Or are you willing to do whatever it takes to obtain those promised blessings? What is it worth to you?
This was like a punch in the gut for me. As I sat and listened, I tried to evaluate which "fan" I was at this point in my life. I can see where I lack, and where I need fixing. The Lord doesn't ask us to be perfect, no, but He does as us to try our very hardest. It also reminded me of what Elder Bednar shared at a stake conference last year, the difference between obtaining and receiving a testimony and being converted to the Lord. They are two distinct things, yet we need to have or "be" both. We need to be a testimony or witness of Jesus Christ, as well as be converted- in every aspect of our life- to His Gospel.
Relief Society was wonderful, too. Words shared were about not comparing ourselves to those around us. The things others are doing, how many kids they have, the type of house they live in, the trips they go on, etc. We can choose to be happy. Whether we have a stressed marriage, a dead-end job, a troubled child, or other ailment, our happiness is a choice that no one can make for our own self. WE are in charge of that.
I often find myself blaming things around me for the way I feel. So, I thought I'd take a moment to list a few things I am grateful for: the blessing I have to wake up every morning healthy. I can walk, read, see, write, smell, feed myself, attend school or work, play a game, go to the gym, etc. I am grateful for the house I live in, the food we have in our pantry and our fridge (even if I don't know how to cook it all... yet), electricity, running water, and cars that run smoothly. I am grateful to live in a country with freedoms many do not have, that I can worship how I desire, marry the man of my choosing, and obtain the schooling I desire.
Sundays are inspired days. Its been two weeks since I was at church because of vacation (as mentioned in the earlier post), and I could feel the difference. I know that I was where I was supposed to be yesterday, hearing what I was supposed to hear.
Sometimes the Lord doesn't always work in mysterious ways, but simple ways.
No comments:
Post a Comment